Partner and Head of the M&A Practice Group
Rukshad Davar has close to 25 years of experience in corporate/M&A, competition and tax matters, and has advised on complex domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, corporate restructurings, joint ventures, private equity investments, strategic investments, asset sales and purchases, slump sales and hive-offs, corporate advisory matters, income tax and tax treaty issues, and real property matters.
Rankings & Credentials
- Banking and Finance
- Inbound Investments into India
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Consumer and Retail
- Financial Services and Insurance
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Pharmaceuticals and Life-Sciences
- B. Com., HR College of Commerce and Economics, University of Mumbai
- LL. B., KC Law College, University of Mumbai
- Chartered Accountant, India – Currently Inactive
- England and Wales (inactive)
- Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Bombay Incorporated Law Society
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- International Bar Association
- International Association for Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Finalist under the category of “Dealmaker of the Year” for the ALB 1st India Law Awards
- Runner up for the Partner of Year award at IDEX Legal Awards 2015
- Represented Carlisle Companies Incorporated (NYSE:CSL) on the sale of its braking and friction division globally to CentroMotion.
- Represented ZoomInfo Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:ZI) on its acquisition of Insent, Inc., including InsentApp India Private Limited, through a merger process.
- Represented Centre Lane Partners on the acquisition of Synacor, Inc. and its Indian subsidiary, Zimbra Technology India Private Limited, through a tender offer and subsequent reverse merger. The transaction values Synacor, Inc. at US$92 million.
- Represented Perforce Software, Inc. on an acquihire transaction in India.
- Assisted Korn Ferry (NYSE:KYF) on its global acquisition of three companies from TwentyEighty, Inc., including ESI Performance India Private Limited.
- Assisted Wynnchurch Capital on its proposed acquisition of a US-based group engaged in the manufacture of steel flanges and having subsidiaries in Europe and India.
- Assisted Chart Industries Inc. (NYSE:GTLS) on its acquisition of VRV Asia Pacific Private Limited as a part of Chart’s global acquisition of VRV Srl and its subsidiaries, valued at US$143 million. Also, assisted Chart on the acquisition of employees of Harsco Services India Private Limited as a part of its global acquisition of the Air-X-Changers business of Harsco Corporation (NYSE:HSC) valued at US$592 million.
- Assisted United Retirement Plan Consultants on the sale of its Indian subsidiary to Ascensus as a part of Ascensus’ global acquisition of United Retirement Plan Consultants group and the underlying business.
- Advised Intertape Polymer Group Inc. (TSE:ITP) on acquisition of an additional state in Powerband Industries Private Limited from its Indian joint venture partners.
- Represented Bertram Capital on the acquisition of Perennials and Sutherland, LLC.
- Representing Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Factory Inc. on its acquisition of an additional stake of 20% in its existing joint venture company, Otsuka Pharmaceutical India Private Limited, from Claris Lifesciences Limited.
- Represented Fluidmaster Inc. on its investment in a joint venture company in India.
- Representing Roto-Die Company, Inc. on its indirect acquisition of Electro Optic (Asia) Private Limited and restructuring of its Indian subsidiaries.
- Represented Altas Copco AB on the sale of the road construction equipment business owned by its Indian affiliate, Atlas Copco (India) Limited, to Fayat group.
- Represented EX2 Solutions Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Builder Homesite, Inc., in the purchase of the business of Deznu Technologies Private Limited through a business transfer agreement.
- Advised N-ViroSystems Canada LP in respect of its supply agreement with Gujarat State Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd.
- Advised Wacoal Corporation on its single brand retail joint venture in India with Periwinkle Fashions Private Limited and represented Wacoal before the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion and the Foreign Investment Promotion Board in obtaining their approval permitting foreign investment in the Indian joint venture.
- Represented Asian Business Connections Private Limited on the acquisition of 100% equity stake of the “Elante Mall”, Larsen & Toubro’s commercial real estate project in Chandigarh for INR1,785 crores (approximately US$275.5 million).
As some of the recent IPOs including those of new-age technology, e-commerce, and fintech companies have come under pressure, the SEBI is tightening regulations to avoid an exodus of investors. A cap has also been imposed on the quantum of funds that can be raised...
The SEBI has released a consultation paper on the preferential issue guidelines prescribed under Chapter V of SEBI (Issue of Capital and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2018 (the “ICDR Regulations”), along with the recommendations discussed below. Rukshad Davar,...
Indian securities law has focussed on regulating, holding accountable and penalizing “promoters” as a result of concentrated family owned businesses which are largely prevalent in India. In this regard, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (the “SEBI”) defines a...
Background Micro, Small, and Medium Scale Enterprises (“MSMEs”) have faced a lot of hardships and financial stress during the Covid19 pandemic. The Indian government has taken several measures to mitigate their distress, including increasing the limit of the minimum...
In April 2014, the Indian government introduced a detailed corporate social responsibility (“CSR”) regime as a part of the then newly introduced Companies Act, 2013 (the “Act”). As per Section 135 of the Act, CSR obligations apply to all companies, who, in the...
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused widespread economic uncertainty globally, and coupled with the US-China trade war, has caused countries to adopt protectionist measures. While the regulations introduced by India, the US, the UK, and the European Union have taken...