Competition law has gained importance in Indian in the recent years. Our competition practice involves advising clients on the requirements of seeking approval of India’s anti-trust regulator, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for proposed mergers and acquisitions as well as assisting clients in obtaining approval from the CCI. We also assist clients in assessing whether their operations are compliant with India’s competition law.
Recently, we have assisted:
- Hino Motors, on its technology collaboration agreement with Ashok Leyland Limited, including competition law implications.
- Axis Bank Limited on a major investment in Max Life Insurance Company Limited in assessing on the requirement of an approval from the CCI for the acquisition.
- Stanley Electric, a Japan-headquartered group engaged in the manufacture and sale of automotive lamps, on competition law implications on intra-group arrangements for designs/ drawings of automotive lamps.
- Gallagher Operations Support Services LLP on acquisition of business from Crossdomain Solutions Private Limited including the applicability of the requirement of seeking prior approval of the Competition Commission of India and availability of exemptions for the proposed transaction.
- Sporting Group International Limited on acquisition of 100% stake in Premier Sports International Private Limited from its existing shareholders, including the applicability of the requirement to seek prior approval of the Competition Commission of India and availability of exemptions for the proposed transaction.
- Carnival Films Private Limited before the CCI for their approval for undertaking acquisition of 100% equity stake of “Big Cinemas”, the multiplex business house of Reliance Mediaworks led by Reliance Group.
- Cigna Corporation, Inc. in connection with its sale to Anthem, Inc. on the India law aspects of the transaction, including providing a detailed competition law analysis, analyzing the asset and turnover thresholds at the individual entity levels and the group level to check if a notification is required to be made to the CCI.
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited before the CCI for their approval for the amalgamation of Glenmark Generics Limited and Glenmark Access Limited (both subsidiaries of Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited) with Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- The Indian subsidiary of BP Exploration (Alpha) Limited on the investigative powers of various Indian governmental authorities, including authorities regulating the oil sector. Also, assisted BP’s subsidiary in India to formulate internal policies in case of “dawn raids” by Indian governmental authorities including the CCI and provided training to the employees of BP India on such internal policies.
- Wacoal Corporation on its proposed single brand retail joint venture in India with Periwinkle Fashions Private Limited, including undertaking a detailed competition law analysis to assess the market impact of this joint venture in the lingerie garments space.
- ROXUL ROCKWOOL Technical Insulation India Private Limited in conducting a training program for its key employees on competition law in India including discussions on anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant position as well as regulations on merger control.