Ravi S. Raghavan
Partner, Tax and Private Client Group
Ravi S. Raghavan has more than 25 years of experience in corporate tax advisory work, business re-organizations, international taxation (investment and fund structuring, repatriation strategies, treaty analysis, advance rulings, exchange control regulations, FPI taxation), tax litigation services and other tax issues (including withholding taxes, capital gains tax, permanent establishment concerns, employee taxation, and tax holiday schemes).
Rankings & Credentials
- Investment Structuring and Repatriation Strategy
- Corporate Tax Advisory and Litigation
- Fund Formation
- Financial Services and Insurance
- Pharmaceuticals and Life-Sciences
- B. Sc. (Chemistry), Guru Nanak Khalsa College, University of Mumbai
- LL. B., D. G. Ruparel College of Arts, Science and Commerce, University of Mumbai
- LL. M., D. G. Ruparel College of Arts, Science and Commerce, University of Mumbai
- Master of Management Studies, University of Mumbai
- Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Friends of IBFD – International Tax Group
- International Tax Planning Professionals Group
- Advised Nippon Soda Co., Limited on complex Indian tax and structuring issues in relation to the launch of a business platform in India.
- Advised Grab, Inc., Singapore, on the tax aspects of establishing a limited liability partnership in India.
- Advised Builder Homesite, Inc. on tax structuring, intermediate holding company structures and transfer pricing issues in relation to acquisition of Indian entities.
- Advised Lumiata, Inc. on Indian transfer pricing and permanent establishment issues in relation to its Indian subsidiary.
- Advised Baidu (Hong Kong) Limited on tax issues in relation to the establishment of a subsidiary in India.
- Advised NantHealth Inc. on tax issues in relation to the sale of its Indian subsidiary to Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
Download .pdf The Gujarat High Court (the “HC”), in a recent ruling (the “HC Ruling”), dismissed the Indian tax department’s (the “ITD”) appeal against a Tribunal Ruling allowing the taxpayer to rely on a beneficial double taxation avoidance agreement provision...
Download .pdf In a recent ruling, the Hyderabad Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (the “Tribunal”) has, in the Vertex Projects case, held that if shares are received in a scheme of amalgamation by an amalgamated company being less than the fair market value (“FMV”), then...
Download .pdf In a recent ruling, the Gujarat High Court (the “GHC”) has dealt with five different issues under the Gujarat Stamp Act, 1958 (the “GSA”) and has held that: In a composite scheme of arrangement where undertakings are transferred by way of a merger,...
Download .pdf In a recent ruling, India’s Supreme Court (“SC”) has held that the term “management and control” of a company means where the head, seat and the directing power of the business affairs lie. It is not merely theoretical or de jure control and power,...
Download .pdf Background On January 2, 2023, India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (“MeitY”) had invited comments from the public on a host of proposed amendments to the IT (Intermediary Guidelines & Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 (the...
Download .pdf In a recent ruling, the Mumbai Income-tax Appellate Tribunal (the “Mumbai Tribunal”), relying on the Tally Solutions case, has held that when the future cash flow or revenue stream projections of a private investment company are uncertain, the shares...