Head of Transactions Practice and Managing Partner
+91 22 61237272
Akil Hirani is one of India’s leading lawyers having more than 25 years of experience. His particular experience includes structuring investments of foreign companies and financial institutions into India, tax and regulatory advice, M&A, joint ventures, and private equity.
Akil has authored several articles and publications on topics, including structuring investments into India, outsourcing to India, joint ventures in India and on tax issues. He regularly speaks on M&A, capital raising, issues affecting hedge funds and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs), India investment strategies, and related subjects at many international forums, including at seminars held by Terrapin in India and Hong Kong, Practicing Law Institute and ATLAS Legal in the US, and the International Bar Association. He is regularly featured on shows on CNBC TV18, Bloomberg UTV and ET Now.
Recently, Akil has:
- Represented Pelliconi & C. SPA on acquiring a majority stake in Oricon Packaging Limited engaged in the packaging business in India.
- Represented Hareon Solar Technology Company Limited in connection with a joint venture agreement with ReNew Power Ventures Private Limited to develop a solar project of 72 MW capacity in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- Advised Capricorn Investment Group, LLC on its existing investment in VAS Data Services Private Limited which runs and operates the online retailer “YepMe.”
- Represented Axis Bank Limited on complex corporate, insurance and securities law issues in respect of the proposed merger of Max Life Insurance Company Limited with HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited (now terminated.)
- Represented Cigna Corporation, Inc. in respect of the proposed increase in stake in its insurance joint venture in India, CignaTTK Health Insurance Company Limited (CignaTTK), from 26% to 49%, and in respect of the proposed replacement of TTK Group, an Indian conglomerate, by the Manipal Education and Medical Group as the Indian joint venture partner of Cigna Corporation.
- Represented NantHealth, Inc. in the sale of its Indian subsidiary to Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. as a part of a global asset purchase agreement to sell the assets of NantHealth forming part of its provider/patient engagement solutions business to Allscripts.
- Represented Utkarsh Global Holdings Private Limited, one of the promoters of Excel Crop Care Limited, in connection with the sale by Utkarsh (along with certain other shareholders) of its stake in Excel to Sumitomo Chemical Company for US$94 million.
- Advised Norinchukin Bank, Singapore in connection with its proposed lending activities in India.
- Banking and Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Projects and Energy
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Consumer and Retail
- Financial Services and Insurance
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences
- BA, St. Xavier’s College, University of Mumbai (1989)
- LLB (Hons.), Government Law College, University of Mumbai (1992)
- California (inactive)
- England and Wales (inactive)
- Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Bombay Incorporated Law Society
- State Bar of California
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Law Society for England and Wales
- Chambers Asia Pacific
- Chambers Global
- Asia Pacific Legal 500
- India Business Law Journal
- Asialaw Market-leading Lawyer
- Who’s Who Legal – Global Leader – M&A, banking and finance, banking – regulatory, corporate governance, data – information technology
- Inducted into the “Hall of Fame” by Asia Pacific Legal 500, having been recommended as a leading lawyer within corporate/M&A for the last 13 years
- Winner of the 2019 International Advisory Experts Award – Banking & Finance – India
- Finalist under the category of “Managing Partner of the Year” for the ALB 1st India Law Awards
- Top 100 Legal Luminaries of India published by Lexis Nexis and Practical Law Company
- A-list of India’s top 100 lawyers by India Business Law Journal