Managing Partner and Head of Transactions
Akil Hirani is one of India’s leading lawyers having more than 25 years of experience. His particular experience includes structuring investments of foreign companies and financial institutions into India, tax and regulatory advice, M&A, joint ventures, and private equity.
Rankings & Credentials
- Banking and Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Projects and Energy
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Consumer and Retail
- Financial Services and Insurance
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Pharmaceuticals and Life-Sciences
- BA, St. Xavier’s College, University of Mumbai
- LLB (Hons.), Government Law College, University of Mumbai
- California (inactive)
- England and Wales (inactive)
- Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Bombay Incorporated Law Society
- State Bar of California
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Law Society for England and Wales
- Inducted into the “Hall of Fame” by Asia Pacific Legal 500, having been recommended as a leading lawyer within corporate/M&A for the last 13 years
- Winner of the 2019 International Advisory Experts Award – Banking & Finance – India
- Finalist under the category of “Managing Partner of the Year” for the ALB 1st India Law Awards
- Top 100 Legal Luminaries of India published by Lexis Nexis and Practical Law Company
- A-list of India’s top 100 lawyers by India Business Law Journal
- Represented Pelliconi & C. SPA on acquiring a majority stake in Oricon Packaging Limited engaged in the packaging business in India.
- Represented Hareon Solar Technology Company Limited in connection with a joint venture agreement with ReNew Power Ventures Private Limited to develop a solar project of 72 MW capacity in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- Advised Capricorn Investment Group, LLC on its existing investment in VAS Data Services Private Limited which runs and operates the online retailer “YepMe.”
- Represented Axis Bank Limited on complex corporate, insurance and securities law issues in respect of the proposed merger of Max Life Insurance Company Limited with HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited (now terminated.)
- Represented Cigna Corporation, Inc. in respect of the proposed increase in stake in its insurance joint venture in India, CignaTTK Health Insurance Company Limited (CignaTTK), from 26% to 49%, and in respect of the proposed replacement of TTK Group, an Indian conglomerate, by the Manipal Education and Medical Group as the Indian joint venture partner of Cigna Corporation.
- Represented NantHealth, Inc. in the sale of its Indian subsidiary to Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. as a part of a global asset purchase agreement to sell the assets of NantHealth forming part of its provider/patient engagement solutions business to Allscripts.
- Represented Utkarsh Global Holdings Private Limited, one of the promoters of Excel Crop Care Limited, in connection with the sale by Utkarsh (along with certain other shareholders) of its stake in Excel to Sumitomo Chemical Company for US$94 million.
- Advised Norinchukin Bank, Singapore in connection with its proposed lending activities in India.
Download .pdf Last month, the Reserve Bank of India (the “RBI”) released a draft Master Direction (the “Draft Direction”) proposing revisions to the Master Circular released in 2015 relating to wilful defaulters. The Draft Direction has broadened the definition...
Drugs, Medical Devices and Cosmetics Bill, 2023: An attempt at modernizing the regime governing medical products
Download .pdf Background The Drugs, Medical Devices and Cosmetics Bill, 2023 (the “Drugs Bill”) seeks to replace the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 (the “Drugs Act”) as the law governing the manufacture, sale and distribution of drugs, medical devices and cosmetics....
Download .pdf Background On January 2, 2023, India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (“MeitY”) had invited comments from the public on a host of proposed amendments to the IT (Intermediary Guidelines & Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 (the...
Download .pdf Introduction Last month, the Reserve Bank of India (the “RBI”) introduced master directions (the “Directions”) and guidelines (the “Guidelines”) for the acquisition and ownership of shares and voting rights in banking companies. The main aim of the...
Download .pdf The Securities and Exchange Board of India (the “SEBI”) has issued two (2) circulars, dated November 17, 2022 (the “SEBI November 17 Circular”) and November 23, 2022 (the “SEBI November 23 Circular”), respectively, in furtherance of the SEBI (Alternative...
Download .pdf On October 13, 2022, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (the “IRDAI”) published an exposure draft of the IRDA (Registration of Indian Insurance Companies) Regulations, 2022 (the “Draft Registration Regulations”), under which it...