MAJMUDAR & PARTNERS IN 2018
Happy New Year to you.
2018 marked the 75th anniversary of Majmudar & Partners, and we celebrated it by launching our New York office. This move has been well received by our clients and has added a new dimension to our growth.
M&A in India
The Indian M&A market crossed its all-time highs and saw deals worth about US$129 billion last year. There was significant inbound and domestic M&A, and selective outbound M&A activity. The firm had a busy year in this practice area. We worked as Indian counsel on a major global insurance deal approximating US$67 billion in value in which our longstanding client, CIGNA merged with Express Scripts. This apart, we worked on several other transactions across our industry specialties of manufacturing, technology/telecoms, life sciences and healthcare, consumer/retail, and financial services.
Deal of the Year Award
All our practices supporting the foregoing industry verticals were busy doing some cutting-edge work in the areas banking, tax, competition, regulatory, disputes, insolvency, white-collar, employment and IP. As a testimonial to our efforts, our firm has won India Business Law Journal’s (IBLJ) Deals of the Year 2018 award for its representation of MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India (an Ericsson subsidiary) against TRAI (India’s telecom regulator) in what was a major litigation against the telecom regulator, which is still sub-judice.
2018 also saw heightened activity in the area of white-collar investigations, and we handled some significant investigations for our multinational clients. The aggressive enforcement and clean-up being undertaken by Indian banks to recover their bad debts continues to drive more work in this area.
Accolades and Recognition
The firm and its partners have been recommended and recognized by several renowned legal publications. Some of the highlights are as follows:
- Chambers Global, 2019 has ranked our firm as a leading firm in the areas of banking and finance; corporate/M&A; and dispute resolution with three (3) lawyers, including managing partner, Akil Hirani; disputes head, Neerav Merchant; and banking and insolvency disputes of counsel, Fraser Alexander, being singled out for recognition.
- Chambers and Partners has, in its 2019 Asia Pacific edition, ranked our firm in nine (9) practice areas, including corporate/M&A; dispute resolution; employment; life sciences; tax; technology, media, telecoms (TMT); banking and finance; insurance; and real estate.
- Six (6) senior lawyers, including Akil Hirani (for corporate/M&A and tax); Rukshad Davar (for corporate/M&A); Amrit Mehta (for corporate/M&A); Ravi S. Raghavan (for tax); Neerav Merchant (for disputes); and Fraser Alexander (for banking disputes), have been recommended by Chambers and Partners, in its 2019 Asia Pacific edition.
- Outstanding recognition and recommendations have been given by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 guide to our firm in fifteen (15) practice areas, viz., antitrust and competition; banking and finance; capital markets; corporate/M&A; dispute resolution; insurance; intellectual property; investment funds; labour and employment; projects and energy; real estate and construction; restructuring and insolvency; tax; TMT; and white-collar crime.
- The Legal 500 has listed managing partner, Akil Hirani, in its elite “Leading Lawyers” list for corporate/M&A and insurance, and all of the lawyers mentioned above have been recommended in several of the fifteen (15) practice areas.
- IFLR1000 2019 has ranked Majmudar & Partners as a leading firm in banking; capital markets; financial and corporate; infrastructure; M&A; private equity; project development; infrastructure and project finance. Further, managing partner, Akil Hirani, has been listed as a highly regarded M&A, banking, and energy and infrastructure lawyer, and partner and head of the M&A practice, Rukshad Davar, has been listed as highly regarded for M&A and real estate acquisitions work. Of counsel, Fraser Alexander, has also been highly regarded for banking.
- Asialaw Profiles 2019 has highly recommended Majmudar & Partners for labour and employment, and has recommended the firm for insurance; real estate; banking and finance; capital markets; construction; corporate/M&A; dispute resolution; and tax work. The firm is also noted for its technology and telecommunications, and private equity practices.
- Asialaw Profiles has ranked managing partner, Akil Hirani, as a market-leading lawyer for banking and finance, and corporate/M&A matters. Partner and head of the M&A practice, Rukshad Davar has been ranked as a leading lawyer for corporate/M&A and competition law, and partner, Neerav Merchant has been ranked for construction and real estate, and dispute resolution work. Ravi S. Raghavan and Fraser Alexander have been ranked as leading lawyers by Asialaw Profiles 2019 for their expertise in taxation, and banking and dispute resolution, respectively.
- The International Tax Review – World Tax 2019 continues to recognize Majmudar & Partners as a leading tax law firm in India.
- Managing partner, Akil Hirani, has been nominated by his peers and recognized in the Who’s Who Legal 2019 edition as one of the world’s leading practitioners in the areas of corporate governance; corporate tax; data (information technology); banking and finance; and franchise. Partner, Neerav Merchant, has been listed as a leading real estate; litigation; and product liability defence practitioner, and senior statesman, Mr. A.K. Hirani, has been listed as a leading practitioner in banking. Finally, Ravi S. Raghavan has been listed as a leading corporate tax practitioner.
- Akil Hirani is the winner of the 2019 International Advisory Experts Award – Banking and Finance – India.
- IBLJ has ranked both, Akil Hirani and Rukshad Davar, in the A list of India’s top 100 lawyers in 2018.
- The firm is the winner of the 2019 Corporate International Magazine Global Award as “Investment Structuring Law Firm of the Year in India” and is also the winner of Corporate Insider’s 2019 Business Excellence Awards as “Banking & Finance Law Firm of the Year – India.”
- The firm is the winner of the Lawyers Worldwide Awards 2019 as “Banking and Finance Law Firm of the Year.”
- The firm won the Silver Award for the “Best Indian Law Firm 2018” at the prestigious International Legal Alliance Summit & Awards event held in New York in June 2018.
- The firm is the winner of the Corporate LiveWire Global Fund Awards 2018 as “Investment Funds Advisory Firm of the Year.”
- The firm is the winner of the 9th Annual GLE Awards 2018 in the category of “International Full Service Law Firm of the Year in India.”
- Majmudar & Partners was among the top-5 finalists for the IDEX Legal Awards 2018 in the category of “M&A Law Firm of the Year.”
From all of us at Majmudar & Partners, we would like to thank our clients, colleagues and friends worldwide for their continued support. Without your help and support, none of this would be possible, and we look forward to breaking new grounds and scaling new heights in 2019.
Send this to a friend